Bay-Friendly Rated Landscapes are certified using a rating system that recognizes excellence in sustainable landscape design, construction and maintenance practices. This voluntary, third-party verified rating system applies to new construction or major renovations of civic, commercial, institutional and multifamily property landscapes. It provides property owners and landscape professionals with a flexible, systematic framework for creating healthy, drought-tolerant and environmentally sound landscapes.
The Benefits of Bay-Friendly Landscapes
Incorporating Bay-Friendly practices in the design, construction and management of landscapes can provide many benefits, including:
- 50% water savings
- 30–70% maintenance labor savings
- 85–95% weed suppression without toxic chemicals
- 70–80% reduced runoff
- 53 tons/acre greenhouse gas reduction
Read more about the benefits of Bay-Friendly Landscapes.
Seven Principles & Practices
The Bay-Friendly Rating System is based on the Seven Principles and Practices, Bay-Friendly Landscaping Guidelines and uses the Bay-Friendly Landscape Scorecard, a well-established tool that helps project teams plan, track and verify the practices they implement to improve their landscapes.
How to Become Bay-Friendly Rated
Bay-Friendly Rating is intended for landscape projects that:
- Are civic, institutional, commercial or multifamily residential properties;
- Are undergoing new landscape design and construction or major renovation; and
- Have an irrigated area of 2,500 square feet or more
ReScape California is here to help support in developing and qualifying these sustainable landscapes. Learn more about: