The City of Pittsburg created Living Green Gardens, sited at City Hall. Formerly a lawn, this demonstration garden – which is nearly an acre – models Bay-Friendly practices such as drought tolerant plantings, water efficiency, Integrated Pest Management, the use of compost and mulch, and much more. With attractive educational signage, the garden has involved many community groups and welcomes visitors. For more information, visit www.livinggreengardens.com.
Living Green Gardens
Pittsburg City Hall, 65 Civic Avenue, Pittsburg CA
City of Pittsburg
Bay Friendly Rater
18,982 sq ft
Grounds Open To Public?
Bay-Friendly Rated Landscape Score
Bay-Friendly Landscape Highlights
- The garden is 91% planted permeable space; the remaining 9% hardscape includes an urbanite (recycled concrete) path
- There are 120 species of drought tolerant plants (California and desert Southwest natives, and Mediterranean plants)
- With a subsurface drip system and a smart controller, all irrigation water is recycled (purple pipe)
- There are several habitat amenities, such as a bat box, birdhouses, and a raptor perch
- Free classes on ecological landscaping and gardening are held in the garden
- Adjacent is a demonstration Turf Garden, modeling four drought tolerant, low maintenance options for kids, pets and events
- Saves save 277,724 gallons of water per year and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by between 13 - 34 tons of CO2e over the life of the project .