Jean Sweeney Open Space Park Phase A is the second phase of development for a unique 27-acre community park in the heart of Alameda. Phase A includes park amenities such as community gathering areas, a large nature playground, a restroom, and a picnic pavilion overlooking a low-water use lawn area, as well as new landscape planting, including a diverse variety of shrubs, grasses, and trees. The first phase of the project development was also ReScape rated and included the construction of a 0.65 mile class I bike and pedestrian trail called the Cross Alameda Trail through Jean Sweeney Open Space Park. Both projects opened to the public in 2018.
Jean Sweeney Open Space Park Phase A
Atlantic Ave. & Sherman St., Alameda, CA 94501
City of Alameda
Landscape Architecture Team
Suarez & Munoz Construction
231,500 sq ft
Grounds Open To Public?
ReScape Rated Landscape Score
ReScape Landscape Highlights
- Provided shelter for wildlife with boulders and logs
- Installed sheet mulch for weed control
- Salvaged logs for the play area from the City - approximately 200 LF of salvaged logs were used as seatwalls and retaining curbs, and 70 LF as a natural play structure
- Stone and hardscape mined/produced within 200 miles of the project site
- Planted large stature trees
- Low energy light fixtures