Jean Sweeney Open Space Park Phase A is the second phase of development for a unique 27-acre community park in the heart of Alameda. Phase A includes park amenities such as community gathering areas, a large nature playground, a restroom, and a picnic pavilion overlooking a low-water use lawn area, as well as new landscape planting, including a diverse variety of shrubs, grasses, and trees. The first phase of the project development was also ReScape rated and included the construction of a 0.65 mile class I bike and pedestrian trail called the Cross Alameda Trail through Jean Sweeney Open Space Park. Both projects open to the public on December 15, 2018.
Jean Sweeney Open Space Park Phase A
Atlantic Ave. & Sherman St., Alameda, CA 94501
City of Alameda
Landscape Architecture Team
Suarez & Munoz Construction
231,500 sq ft
Grounds Open To Public?
ReScape Rated Landscape Score
ReScape Landscape Highlights
- Provided shelter for wildlife with boulders and logs
- Installed sheet mulch for weed control
- Salvaged logs for the play area from the City - approximately 200 LF of salvaged logs were used as seatwalls and retaining curbs, and 70 LF as a natural play structure
- Stone and hardscape mined/produced within 200 miles of the project site
- Planted large stature trees
- Low energy light fixtures