Bishop O’Dowd Center for Environmental Studies
Bishop O'Dowd High School, 9500 Stearns Avenue, Oakland CA
Catholic Welfare Corporation
Landscape Architecture Team
Bay Friendly Rater
26,750 sq ft
Grounds Open To Public?
Bay-Friendly Rated Landscape Score
Bay-Friendly Landscape Highlights
- Extensive student involvement and education included: propagation of plant material, on-site milling of lumber, sheet mulching, site analysis, permeable paving installation, installment of educational signage
- Provides water and shelter to wildlife with a pond, native plantings with lots of trees, and bee hives.
- Directs rain water from all down spouts to planters, swales, and landscaped areas.
- Soil protect with mulch obtained from local arborists and onsite felled tree
- Branches from felled trees donated to Oakland zoo for elephants to eat and play with; left-over glue-lam beams from building turned into benches
- Saves 45,206 gallons of water per year and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by up to 6.23 tons of CO2e over the life of the project.