Bishop O’Dowd Center for Environmental Studies
Bishop O'Dowd High School, 9500 Stearns Avenue, Oakland CA
Catholic Welfare Corporation
Bay Friendly Rater
26,750 sq ft
Grounds Open To Public?
Bay-Friendly Rated Landscape Score
Bay-Friendly Landscape Highlights
- Provides water and shelter to wildlife with a pond, native plantings with lots of trees, and bee hives.
- Directs rain water from all down spouts to planters, swales, and landscaped areas.
- Soil protect with mulch obtained from local arborists and onsite felled tree
- Branches from felled trees donated to Oakland zoo for elephants to eat and play with; left-over glue-lam beams from building turned into benches
- Saves 45,206 gallons of water per year and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by up to 6.23 tons of CO2e over the life of the project.