The Housing Authority County of Alameda office renovations updated the building and grounds of an existing facility incorporating many Bay Friendly practices with a limited budget on a small site. Existing trees were retained as much as possible while creating a new environmentally and pedestrian friendly parking lot, and several new outdoor amenities were created for staff, visitors, and beneficial wildlife.
Housing Authority of Alameda County Main Office Property Renovation
22941 Atherton Street, Hayward CA
Housing Authority of the County of Alameda
Bay Friendly Rater
50,403 sq ft
Grounds Open To Public?
Bay-Friendly Rated Landscape Score
Bay-Friendly Landscape Highlights
- Existing landscape boulders reused
- Large native shurbs such as rhamnus, heteromeles, pennisetum, and archotaphylos.
- Captures and filters runoff from parking lot into landscape beds
- Bubble ups or splash blocks for all down spouts. Two drain to concrete at front of building that sheet flows into permeable paving.
- 100% organic, local mulch used for weed control
- Saves 122,870 gallons of water per year and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by up to 22.70 tons of CO2E over the life of the project