Clinton Commons is an urban infill brownfield 55-unit affordable housing project on 0.63 acres located within close walking distance to public transportation, shopping and restaurants. The exterior courtyard design for Clinton Commons was carefully developed to ensure a pleasant and varied outdoor experience, while also preserving the environment. All plants specified for the project are drought tolerant, climate appropriate species and selected for seasonal color and texture to provide year-round interest.
Clinton Commons (720 East 11th St Apartments)
720 East 11th Street , Oakland CA
Resources for Community Development
11,312 sq ft
Grounds Open To Public?
Bay-Friendly Rated Landscape Score
Bay-Friendly Landscape Highlights
- Plants are grouped together by hydrozone allowing the use of an efficient irrigation system combined with a smart weather-based controller to ensure that water is not wasted.
- A thick 3" covering of bark mulch with a layer of cardboard sheet mulch over the soil helps keep water in and weeds out.
- Much of the landscape materials incorporate recycled content or are made from FSC certified wood including the courtyard benches, precast planters and the play area resilient paving.
- All paving is light colored to reduce the heat island effect with a majority of paving on-grade as permeable pavers with a high recycled or flyash content.
- A birdhouse is installed in a protected zone of the courtyard to encourage wildlife habitat.
- Saves 17,524 gallons of water per year and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by between 1.24 - 3.21 tons of CO2e over the life of the project .