News & Updates
July 5, 2017
July is Smart Irrigation Month
ReScape California is celebrating Smart Irrigation Month!
Smart Irrigation Month is a public awareness campaign to promote efficient water use. Focused on July, traditionally the month of peak demand for outdoor water use, the campaign highlights simple practices and innovative technologies to:
- Make maintaining green spaces easy and convenient
- Minimize overwatering while keeping lawns, gardens and landscapes beautiful and healthy
- Save money on utility bills
- Help protect community water supplies for today and the future
Smart Irrigation month is an initiative of the Irrigation Association, a non-profit industry organization dedicated to promoting efficient irrigation. Learn more at www.smartirrigationmonth.org.
How can you can water wiser this July?
- Hydrozone. Divide your yard into zones, grouping plants with similar water needs together
- Consider soil type. Soil type determines how quickly water can be absorbed without runoff
- Water at the best time. Watering during the heat of the day may cause significant water lost due to evaporation. Try watering in the early morning or at night
- Evaluate your sprinkler or drip irrigation system. A system audit can detect leaks and uneven watering, which wastes water and can damage your landscape
- Consider smart irrigation controllers. Smart irrigation controllers use sensors and other technology to water according to weather conditions and plant needs
For more tips, check out these articles:
- Smart Irrigation Technologies That Use Water Efficiently
- Complementing Your Smart Irrigation System With Sustainable Solutions
- Plant Right
- Maintain & Upgrade Your System
Upcoming Related Events
- Irrigation Assessment: A Business Opportunity presented by EBMUD Landscape Advisory Committee
- Coming soon! – ReScape CA Irrigation Workshop with Lori Palmquist, August 2017
- Bay-Friendly Professional Maintenance Training – South San Francisco
For more upcoming events, visit our Events Calendar page.